Collection: Part Three | Unit 7

Part Three Reflection

26/2/2018

• celebrate the Chinese new year
  • observe and investigate the different make up for different person
  • everyone's main point for make up is different

27/2/2018

• starting to research the various of make up
  • different country have different kind of make up
  • some country's makeup focus on eyes, some country's makeup focus on lips

1/3/2018

!My project is about the evolution of make up. In this project, I would to discuss about he different of make up from ancient to modern, from east to west. I would to discuss about why people make up, why people put make up in different way, what is the meaning of make up for people and how the evolution happen. I will research about the the ancient way of make up and the contemporary way of make up. I want to comparing the different ways of beauty appreciation in diverse generations and various culture. I will choose two groups of the styles of make up which are the ancient Chinese style and the contempo- rary make up ways.

5/3/2018

I would like to focus on the eyebrow and lip to comparing. For example, in ancient east, people like putting the smaller shape of lipstick than their real size of the lips, but people like thick lip in contemporary beauty appreciation. Also, the contemporary beauty appre- ciation prefers the eyebrows with straight, curved or arch shape, but the ancient asian people invented much more kinds of eyebrows with various of shape. All those eyebrows have showed their emotions, women can choose an eyebrow by their mood. Lip always have important status to women. Different colour of lipstick and different shape of lip will communicate various emotion to other people.

6/3/2018

Final reading this two books during the weekend

- make up
Everett, F., Jude, C., & Allman, H. (1998). Make up. Tulsa, Ok: EDC Pub.
- Theory of beauty; an introduction to aesthetics
Osborne, Harold. Theory of beauty; an introduction to aesthetics. Philosophical Library, 1953.

Find more reference for the make up from different generation and various of nations

8/3/2018

•  simulate the make up on the white mask and group different makeup of lip and makeup of eyebrow&eye together
  • find the materials which close to the skin, maybe chiffon or lace
  • so can use the different size of beads or different kind of beads to stitch on the clothes to simulate the five sense organs of human 

12/3/2018

Thought out making the only problem I had was how to nicely communicate the emotions by the mask. This is how I come up with the idea about stitching the eyes, noses and lips on the various of fibres, which I have choose very soft lace and gauze. So I have imitation the traditional Chinese make up look which have very interesting shapes of eyebrow and the flowers shape of lips. I am making the testing first.

I have choose the black colour for eyebrow and the red colour for the lips, also are based not he white gauze and lace. I feel it can give a very strong contrast

13/3/2018

From today I have learned a new way of showinging ideas, and produce ideas in quicker and clearer way. Less text and more drawing. But I only present my idea was just simple drawings which does not show enough details.

Next time I will spend more and more time on drawing and draw the idea more meticulous. But I did learn about how to produce an idea smoothly. 

Also, I have draw the eyebrow, cheek and lips, cut them and group them in different and paste them on the paper mask as another testing.

15/3/2018

Today, I have got some feedbacks from my classmates and tutors. From their suggestions, I think I need to improve my drawing skills which can help me to show my concept idea more clearly. 

For materials researching, I would I like to find the material which can reshaped but it is transparent. So even people wear the mask, other people still can see and feel the person's own face and emotional.

Testing:

• mirror
  • glass
  • plastic

19/3/2018

Today, I have done more research about different kind of mask. I see some designers use the sliver to sketch the bones of human's cheek and other designer have sketch the shape of lips or the shape of people's face. The clothes have been used in the mask make too. The designer have use the fibre directly cover people;s face and draw the eyes, noses and lips on the clothes. 

Also, the most interesting design for me is the plastic mask, the plastic eyes, noses and lips has very strong visual communication of the emotion and the same time, people's owneyes, noses and lips are visible which are under the mask. So the emotion will be very plentiful.

20/3/2018

I have researched a lot of designer make mask. I classify them in different group. Some of them are sketching the shape of human's face, some of them are extracting the main point from the human's face such as eyes, noses and lips.

So I would like to make a plastic mask which fit the shape and line of the human's face and use the colourful plastic to extract the main point from the human's face such as eyes, noses and lips.

I may wear it on the front of the face. This is the normal way. Maybe the mask will wear on the side of the face or the back of the head. So when people wear the mask, they can have two face and show various emotions.

9/4/2018

10/4/2018

My final model is a transparent mask which can wear on the front of the face or side of the face. There are various nose, lips and eyes which allowed people group them together. All these eyes, noses and lips are colourful plastic which are also emotional.

In my final design, I let the make up evolute from 2D to 3D, It is a transparent mask that people can group different kind of eyes, noses and lips together to show the various emotion when they wake up in every morning.

12/4/2018

12/4/2018

16/4/2018

My main focus on this project is about the evolution of make up, To discuss various of make up, for example: ancient to modern, eastern and western. I also wish to discuss about why people make up, why people put make up in different way, what is the meaning of make up for people and how the evolution happen. In my final design, I let the make up evolute from 2D to 3D, It is a transparent mask that people can group different kind of eyes, noses and lips together to show the various emotion when they wake up in every morning. My final outcome has achieve most part of my initially propose. I have explain why people make up, why people put make up in different way, what is the meaning of make up for people. People put make up in different way because in different countries and generation that people have different appreciation of the beauty. People make up because makeup is that people are pursuing the beauty. The meaning of make up for people is that they want to looks more beautiful and fitter with the most popular appreciation of the beauty in the temporal generation. 

If I can start my project again, I may not just focus on the makeup only, I would also look for what kind of jewellery does the people like most in the appointed country and generation. I would like to research the jewellery by their materials and styles to get a deeper analyse and strong comparing for different appreciation of the beauty in the various generations and countries. In my project , the successful part is that I have showed the present generation’s appreciation of the beauty. At present day, the beauty is a person have their own characteristic so in my final model, I make a lot of eyes and noses and lips in different styles and colour which allowed people group them by themselves to show their own personality. The weakness part in my project is that I have not do enough materials research. If there are choice to do additional research and development. I would like to find more possible materials which may suitable to make a mask. I would like to find a material which is lighter and more fabric able which can fit the shape of human’s face better.